Once upon a time Dosa, Idli, Paddus or Vada used to be available only in Udapi hotels and making good quality Idli or Dosa was a dream for most of housewives in India !
Over the time Dosa, Idli and Vada has became national breakfast dish and available at every corner of India! And it is made in mornings at many homes too.
But making Idli or Dosa and making a BEST QUALITY Idli or Dosa remained a secret for years!
Well if you make the batter for Idli and dosa using home mixer grinder then surely you can not get that professional softness and taste. Then what do you do? how to get best tasty and soft Idlies at home ?
Here is the secret of making Light Airy Batter or bread dough:
Main ingredient of Dosa, Vada and Idli is the batter made from soaked rice and dal, mixture of which needs to be perfectly airy and if you really wish to get it light and soft, add some Poha to it.
But beyond using correct proportion of Dal + Rice + Poha, main secret is to grind it in traditional way, using Pata Varvanta (Mortar and pestle made from stones), providing perfect texture to the batter with airy bubble formations. But its impossible for someone in modern kitchen to get on to spend so much time and energy to prepare batter paste manually.
Fortunately to get the same taste you have modern technology to help. Its simple, simply go for Wet Grinders which will give you the same traditional taste with no efforts 🙂 That’s the secret.
So coming down to buying the Wet Grinders, one needs to sort them out based on Price, Quality of output, Ease of operation, drum made of food grade stainless steel, vacuum cup base for firm grip on kitchen table and suffice for a family of 4 persons ( 2 Adults + 2 kids assumed in your family for this review)
Please note that instead of providing long list of India’s top 10 best wet grinders I have prepared only a few doing all research on highest star rating, lowest complaints from customers, best in terms of value for money. (and customer support when needed)
Warning ! Beware of fraud reviews :
Many companies spend money to get paid reviews and eventually you pay for the product which is not worth of it. So it is extremely necessary to select products carefully. Hence at the end of this review I have also given products which are excluded from Best list with reasons too.
When you buy any wet grinder, please do a first run with 1 cup of rice and lot of water, this will clean the grinder stones and any fine dust will get alongwith the rice batter. This will also give you an idea on how the grinder is working and any issues like overheating etc.
Best Wet Grinders in India 2018
[Only 4 selected by me]
1) Bajaj WX 3 150-Watt Wet Grinder without Arm
Why we recommend Bajaj WX3 wet grinder?
Bajaj is well known established brand in India specially in electrical household appliances. It sells quality products and has support centers too. One of the product I am recommending is this Bajaj Wet Grinder for your home use. Bajaj wet grinder reviews on various websites and forums has shown good 4 & 5 Star reviews and least complaints so far.
- Budget friendly wet grinder
- Powerful 150-watt motor.
- Durable grinding stones
- Spatula like attachment helps mix the batter thoroughly.
- Stainless steel drum
- Motor overload protector : Protects the motor and enhance its life
- Accessories : for kneading atta and scraping coconut given.
2) Panasonic MK-SW200BLK Wet Grinder
Why we recommend Panasonic wet grinder?
Panasonic sells various consumer products in India as well as all over the world. Specially in India it is known for their budget value for money offers on home and kitchen appliances. They offer wide variety of range in terms of quality and price.
We have studied the Panasonic wet grinder reviews on various websites and forums, where we found that it has got good 4-5 star review ratings and least complaints so far. Also the product has top class features for safety and timer.
The Panasonic wet grinder looks really strong in Black colour. The food grade stainless steel drum with a transparent cover gives confidence of quality. Further 240-watt powerful motor assures quick grinding processing more batter quantity at a time resulting into quick quality output.
- Design and accessories that enhance its user-friendliness.
- Timer : can be set for up to 45 minutes. No supervision needed.
- Lid has opening to add water or rice or dal through the opening without having to open the lid.
- Safety : The grinder switches itself off when you open the lid
- Attachments for dough kneading and coconut scraping are not sold by Panasonic.
- Zero single star reviews
3) Premier Wonder – Table Top Wet Grinder 1.5 Litres 230 V
Why we recommend Premier Wonder wet grinder?
First and foremost thing on Premier Wonder tabletop wet grinder is that its COMPACT.
It has only 95 watts motor running at 1440 RPM (revolutions per minute) delivering fast output.
Again like Panasonice, Premier also features stainless steel container with good quality grinding stones.
Most liked thing for this wet grinder is the vertical space saver design with extra long 2 meters power cord, perfectly useful to locate it anywhere in your kitchen.
We recommend it due to simplicity of use and value for money offers.
- Space saver portable design, important in modern kitchen where space is main important
- Compact package with motor underneath the drum
- Features 95W motor and two grinding stones
- Grinds the batter for 3-4 members in just about 20 minutes.
- Accessories : Atta kneader and coconut scraper available as combo package
4) Vidiem Jewel ST 2 Ltrs Grinder
Why we recommend Vidiem Jewel wet grinder?
- Compact and contemporary design for modern kitchen
- High quality stainless steel drum with stone rollers ensuring even grinding
- Covered with a 2-years warranty on the product and 5-years on the motor
- Only 90Watts for optimized energy consumption
Excluded from this top wet grinders list products are as follows –
Reasons for exclusion are
- Negative user reviews
- User reviews below 50 numbers
- Rating below 4 Stars
Singer Maxigrind, 150 Watts 2 Ltr Wet Grinder (Check reviews of Singer)
Elgi Ultra Dura+ 1.25-Litre Wet Grinder, Purple (Check reviews of Elgi)
- Broke while running
- Batter quality not good
- Motor overheating (reported by many people)
- It is very very small, not able to grind at least a cup of urad dal also.
Elgi Ultra Grind+ Gold 2-Litre Table Top Wet Grinder (Check reviews of Elgi)
- Takes high time for grinding
- Motor overheating
- Lid broke
- Product received in broken condition lid (many complaints)
Butterfly Rhino 2-Litre Table Top Wet Grinder (Check reviews of Butterfly)
- Grinder motor becomes too hot just in 30 minutes
- Takes long long time to grind – 2 hours to grind just 1 1/2 kg rice
- Makes lot of noise
Elgi Ultra Bigg + 2.5-Litre Table Top Wet Grinder (Check reviews of Elgi Ultra)
- Very difficult to clean after use
- Heating & Vbrations
Premier Tilting Grinder – Table Top Wet Grinder 2 Litres 230 V (Check reviews of Premier Tilting)
- Poor quality plastic
- Very few reviews for this product
- Tilting is too much
Prestige Wet Grinder PWG 02 (200 watts) with Cocunut scraper and Atta kneader attachment (Check reviews of Prestige)
- Very few product reviews
- Takes more time to grind